Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Help With Waiting

I think I might have figured out my blogger troubles.  Anyways, had a post ready to go last week and had trouble getting it to show up.  Well, wanted to share a few things to help you cope with the waiting as you wait.  

  1. Prayer
Prayer is a huge help in a time of waiting.  Each time I find myself in a time of waiting I find myself praying.  Waiting has a way of forcing you to call upon the Lord.  Those times can enhance your prayer life if you let them too.  One of the things I’ve learned about myself during times of waiting when I’m praying is that I’m not a good prayer.  I admit I have much to learn.  So, what has helped me learn and grow as a prayer?  The Psalms.  I’ve come to really enjoy praying the psalms.  Psalm 27 is a great psalm to pray.  When you pray the psalms they teach you how to pray.  Their language is rich.  As Jesus was hanging on the cross waiting to die he prayed/called out, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”  That is a direct quote of Psalm 22.  Jesus prayed the psalms.  Jesus used the psalms as a tool of prayer while He waited.  Use the psalms as prayers.  Commit them to memory.    

  1. Stay involved in ministry
We have been commissioned by Jesus to make disciples.  We have something we can be doing right now for the Lord.  I have a sister waiting to adopt a baby.  It’s a difficult time for her and her husband.  They are just waiting and hoping for a phone call.  In the meantime they are staying involved in ministry.  They are staying connected at their church and both have sa ervant’s hearts.  Many times waiting paralyzes us.  All we can do is wait and nothing else.  Have you ever felt like that?  Do you know someone in that type of situation?  I’m glad Paul didn’t allow times of waiting to paralyze him.  While Paul was in prison he wrote and gave us Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, and Philemon.    

  1. Know the Holy Spirit is helping you
A part of the fruit of the Spirit is patience.  God knew we would need patience and find ourselves waiting.  Since this is a fruit of the Spirit it means we don’t have to produce it in our lives.  God does!

No comments: