Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lent

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday. I've blogged on what that is before in the link below if you're interested.

Ash Wednesday

I have several things I'm doing differently this year for Lent including a focused reading and re-reading (maybe even memorizing?) of Mark 11-15. Want to join me in reading this? I'm going to save the resurrection chapter (16) for Easter Sunday. After so much time and focus on Jesus' death, I figure I'll be pretty excited and anxious to get to the resurrection that it will seem extra special when I do get to read the good news of Jesus being raised from the dead.

I've also accidentally (or was it?) come across a great little prayer book to help me start times of daily prayer for Lent. The book is Three Simple Rules: A Wesleyan Way of Living by Rueben Job. In the back of the book I found prayers for morning, midday, and evening. They are very simple to follow which is good because having daily prayer times will be something new to me and my daily agenda. Why am I doing this? I want to try and practice daily prayer times like Jesus and His disciples did (see Acts 3). I'm loosely following their practice of prayer at 9am, 3pm, and 6pm. I feel I'm going to learn a lot about prayer and myself as a I take this journey of daily prayer.

So, I'm curious as to what some of your practices are for the Lenten season? Care to share?

No comments: