Thursday, November 11, 2010

Crazy Love


I’m just a couple of chapters away from finishing Crazy Love by Francis Chan. Here are some initial thoughts on the book.

I see the book as challenging and pointing us to live a sold-out-life to Jesus Christ. Each chapter builds on that idea in a way. Topics like prayer, death, holy fear, and love are explored to help one understand them in a Christian context. There’s a call to live excited and expectant as we follow Christ each day. The thrust of the book is a call to live a holy life. It’s what we Wesleyans call entire sanctification. I’ve heard some that have read it ask the question, “Is it really possible to live this way?” With God all things are possible. What do you think?

So, I’m curious if any of you have read it and have thoughts to share on it?

2 comments:

Chris Jennings said...

I have read it and love the way it flows. It takes a bite at the modern church kind of like Jesus did with the Pharisees. Chan seems to challenge me to remind myself that I am not the answer, nor is the church, but it is God Himself who conducts our lives in a way that we are His instruments to BE the answer. Not of our own cognizance, but because of His crazy love for us, does He demonstrate His Power and Glory though us. Kind of a crazy thought in this age of self reliance in a society that craves power instead of having a desire yield control to the Master of all creation.

Great Read for anyone wiling to take an honest inventory of their life.

David said...

I dont think it is a question of, “Is it really possible to live this way?”. God plainly calls us to live this way. Without a sincere and active faith then we fall into the "lukewarm" Christian state. He doesnt go as far as to say you MUST give everything up and wonder the world, but he does ask the hard questions. What are you doing that is an expression of real faith? Are you doing something that is truly up to God to provide for? Instead of waiting for God's will in your life, go out and do good, do what you know God would want you to do and let him lead you as you go. If Christ were to come back now, what would you want to be doing when he does? We are called to give and give happily, generously and with Christ in mind. Stop planning for all the little things in life to make us more comfortable.

In the end, for me this was a life changing book. It points back to God and the bible so much, and makes you realize just how much you could be doing and should be doing if you are truly walking with God. As my wife said, "This book called me arrogant, selfish, and ignorant, but it has brought me to a new understanding of who I am and who my God is." I loved it and will pass it along to anyone who wants God to really move in their life. (Finished it 11/11/10)