Friday, July 27, 2012

Info:  I would love to create a video series of short 5-10 minute teachings on some observations of God that we maybe don't think about all of the time.  If I ever do that, I think I would make this the first in the series. 

I walked into our kitchen the other day and it looked like an artist's studio.  There were paint brushes scattered around.  There were cups of colored water on the counter.  There was even an easel set up in the middle of the room with a big piece of paper clipped to it with all kinds of color and designs on it.  My kids had been acting like little artists.   

This led to a reflection about God.  I know it's easy to get into discussions, or even heated arguments, about God's sovereignty and power, but do we ever pause to ponder God's creativity?   

God is an artist. 

All the inspiration that has moved men and women throughout the centuries to paint, to sculpt, to draw, or to create comes from the One who is an artist Himself.  Have you ever sat down and just admired God's creation of trees, grass, and sky?  They are beautiful! 

As a child art is fun. 

So, what happens to so many of us as we grow up?  I mean, do you consider art to be fun?  When is the last time you visited an art museum just to enjoy a marvelous masterpiece?  Many of us just don't have time for art.  I mean it takes time and energy to paint a picture.  It takes time and energy to observe and admire good art.  Time is money for us.  We don't have time to stop, observe, and create something.  It's interesting that God made time for something like this.  What's even more interesting is that God took time at the end of His creation to stop His work and take it all in. 

2 By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.

I mean God didn't rest on the seventh day because He was tired.  Think about it.  Why did He rest?  He didn't need a break.  He's all powerful.  He could easily outlive and outlast any of us.  God rested for another reason.  He was stopping to admire His artwork.  This was His masterpiece.  He even goes so far as to call earth and His creation good.  Have we ever observed that God stops after each point of creating to look at His creation and call it good?  There's an admiring and pleasure God takes in creating. 

He's an artist. 

Maybe the best thing some of us adults could do is to do/create or pause and observe art.  When I walk into my kitchen next time and see that it has been turned into an Michelangelo's studio, I'm going to jump in and participate.  In a way I'll be doing what God Himself did when He created our world.  Take a moment today and enjoy the art around you.     

1 comment:

Shell*Belle said...

Love this post Tim! :) I'm a little late on seeing it.