Thursday, August 06, 2009

Prayer & Times of Trouble


Here's part 2 of what Jonah learned about prayer while in the belly of the fish.

What do we do when we find ourselves in troubling situations? How do we respond? Do we pray? Why is it that in times of trouble we find it easy to pray?

Read Jonah 2:1-7.

This leads to the second thing Jonah discovered about prayer:

Times of troube are great times to pray

In his time of trouble Jonah called (or prayed) to the LORD (v.1). I think he learned that times of trouble present us with great opportunities to draw near to God.

I was thinking about our situation in America right now with so many people being out of a job and/or laid-off of work. These are times of trouble. We are in a belly of the fish moment. Could it be that God has allowed this to happen (He hasn’t caused it) because He wants us to seek Him out in prayer? He knows that if we are in times of trouble, or in the belly of a fish, we will hit our knees in prayer. We have become so busy (with our work and activities) that we just haven’t had time to seek first the kingdom of God, so He has allowed us to be swallowed by a great fish. Like Jonah, He is allowing and giving us time (Jonah had 3 days of solitude in the belly of the fish) to spend seeking Him through prayer. The question is will we take advantage of it? Will we let these times of trouble drive us to our knees or drive us further away from God? I hope we will respond like Jonah and seek God in prayer.

Sometimes I think we feel guilty because we only pray in times of trouble. We use God like a band-aid. We only turn to Him when in trouble. I’m not saying we should continue to live like that because we miss out on so much, but I think God lets us use Him in that way to draw us near to Him and help us see that He can be trusted. That He is a good God. He has our best interests in mind.

Times of trouble are great times to pray. I hope and pray that during those times you can discover what the psalmist of Psalm 139 discovered.

Read Psalm 139:7-12.

Re-cap of what Jonah learned about prayer from his time in the belly of the great fish.

1. No matter where we are God hears our prayers.

2. Times of trouble are great times to pray.

3 comments:

Shell*Belle said...

Hey Tim!! Thanks for the wisdom for today!! :) Just wanted you to know that I am back to blogging again! :) Same web address. I just saw on your links that you had mine and then in parenthesis you said she doesn't blog anymore. :)

Love ya!!

Anonymous said...

thank you for those words ..... i am so afraid because i am in trouble and i need HIM to help me. pls could someone pray for me.
i have made a mistake which could cost me my job. pls pls pray for me. i need forgiveness and i need a second chance to make things right. i beg for Lords mercy. pls pray for me.

Anonymous said...

I AM IN TROUBLE AT THIS MOMENT,
I WANT GOD BLESSING ON ME
HAS I WORK AND I DON'T GET SALES IN MY JOB PROPERLY
I AM WORRIED PLEASE DO PRAY FOR ME THAT I SHOULD START